GEOSTATS:trend removal

  • Alison_Riding@adas.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20 10:43 AM
      Dear Geostats group

      I have produced semivariograms for some data and for most variables there is

      strong evidence of a trend across the sample plot. I am interested to

      remove this to gain information about the underlying spatial dependence in

      the data despite this main trend. I have checked for outliers, and also I

      have tried to do median polishing in S-Plus, but using twoway, all my

      residuals are zero presumably because my data is not of the right format -
      Can anyone make suggestions ? The purpose of the work is to determine the

      scale of spatial dependence so as to make inferences about the best way to

      sample.

      I would greatly appreciate any comments

      Best wishes

      Alison

      ________________________________
      Dr Alison Riding
      ADAS
      Woodthorne
      Wolverhampton
      WV6 8TQ
      U.K.

      Tel: +44 (0) 1902 693129
      Fax: +44 (0) 1902 693166
      E-Mail: Alison_Riding@...
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22 4:56 AM
        Don

        Thank you for your response to my question about trend removal. I have used

        the loess function in S-Plus, and analysing the residuals gave quite a

        'good' semivariogram.

        Presumably you would now use the semivariogram of the residuals to krige

        with?

        Also, do you (or anyone else) have a reference that describes this use of

        loess residuals?

        Thanks a lot for your response, it was very helpful - I will shortly write a

        summary of all the responses I had.

        Best wishes

        Alison
        ________________________________