GEOSTATS: GSLIB indicator kriging

  • Kristen Manies
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 3:42 PM
      Hello,

      I'm fairly new at much of these geostatistics, but am trying to incorporate
      using them into my thesis. My project involves creating vegetation maps
      from point data. I had come to the conclusion that I needed to use
      indicator kriging since I am working with categorical data. My plan was to
      use GSLIB for this indicator kriging, since S-Plus (the other software I
      have access to) does not have this option.

      When reading the GSLIB User's Manual I noticed that it said that "IK of
      categorical variables can be done by directly applying okb2d [the ordinary
      kriging algorithm]...". (Page 76 in my version of the text.) This seems
      counter intuitive to me. If my variables are already in categorical form
      (0's and 1's) can I use any ordinary kriging? Why am I not supposed to use
      indicator kriging? I thought that indicator kriging was different from
      ordinary kriging in that it is specifically designed to work with this type
      of data (at least this was the advice given to me with someone with more
      knowledge than I).

      If anyone could help clarify my confusion I would greatly appreciate it.

      Thank you,

      Kristen Manies

      manies@...
      Department of Forestry