GEOSTATS: Turing Test of the Fractal Landscape Realizer

  • William W. Hargrove
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 1997
      We would like to ask your help with a project. Will you help us with
      an over-the-Web evaluation of our Fractal Landscape Realizer, which
      synthetically generates artificial landscape maps according to users'
      specifications?

      Your job is to try to select the real map from a series of pairs of
      maps, one member of which has been generated on-the-fly by our
      artificial map generator, analogous to the Turing Test. Since the
      "fake" maps are generated in real time, no two people take exactly the
      same test.

      The test takes about 8 minutes to complete. You get your score when the
      test is completed. To learn more about the Fractal Realizer and take
      the Turing Test, see

      http://www.esd.ornl.gov/realizer

      In preliminary testing, the mean score was between 11 and 12 correct
      out of 20. Real-time analysis of the current state of the test can be
      monitored after taking the Turing Test.

      If you can think of others who might enjoy taking the test, please
      extend them an invitation to participate.

      Thank you,

      Bill Hargrove
      Paul Schwartz
      Forrest Hoffman
      William W. Hargrove GIS and Computer Modeling Group
      Oak Ridge National Laboratory Computational Physics and
      Engineering Div.
      P.O. Box 2008, M.S. 6274 Bldg. 4500N, Room G27, M.S. 6274
      Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6274 (423) 241-2748
      hnw@... (423) 574-4634 (fax)