GEOSTATS: testing anisotropy

  • Javier Gallego
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 1997
      Hello everybody!

      I have several data sets on land use, and I believe they are basically anisotropic
      at least for the distances (up to 40 km) for which I want to compute correlograms.

      I would like to test the hypothesis of anisotropy before making computations
      under this assumption.

      So far I could not find any hypothesis test for this.
      Can anybody give me a hint on references about this topic?

      F. Javier Gallego
      JRC tp. 440
      21020 Ispra (Varese)
      Italy

      tel: 39.332.785101
      fax: 39.332.789074
      e-mail: javier.gallego@...

    • Sivia Sadofsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 1997
        how did I get this e-mail?

        Did it come to me on purpose? Is this part of the April fools joke?

        Wish I could help - but I can't and no offense to anyone, but if I am on
        someone's list, could you take me off?

        Thanks
        ----------
        From: Javier Gallego
        To: 'ai-geostats@...'
        Subject: GEOSTATS: testing anisotropy
        Date: April 9, 1997 05:24

        Hello everybody!

        I have several data sets on land use, and I believe they are basically
        anisotropic
        at least for the distances (up to 40 km) for which I want to compute
        correlograms.

        I would like to test the hypothesis of anisotropy before making
        computations
        under this assumption.

        So far I could not find any hypothesis test for this.
        Can anybody give me a hint on references about this topic?

        F. Javier Gallego
        JRC tp. 440
        21020 Ispra (Varese)
        Italy

        tel: 39.332.785101
        fax: 39.332.789074
        e-mail: javier.gallego@...

      • Agustin Lobo
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 1997
          On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Javier Gallego wrote:

          > Hello everybody!
          >
          > I have several data sets on land use, and I believe they are basically anisotropic
          > at least for the distances (up to 40 km) for which I want to compute correlograms.
          >
          > I would like to test the hypothesis of anisotropy before making computations
          > under this assumption.
          >
          > So far I could not find any hypothesis test for this.
          > Can anybody give me a hint on references about this topic?

          Do you refer to directional anisotropy? If so, then
          directional semivariograms (or correlograms) should be
          compared. Deutsch and Journel (1992) GSLIB ox. Uni. Press could
          be an start point. Are you planning to interpolate or are you just
          testing hypothesis?

          Agus

          Dr. Agustin Lobo
          Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra (CSIC)
          Lluis Sole Sabaris s/n
          08028 Barcelona SPAIN
          tel 34 3 330 2716
          fax 34 3 411 0012