Re: GEOSTATS: A simple question
- At 19:55 28/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a Friday afternoon question. In fact, a chain of questions. please
>forgive me if it is not relevant.
>1. What do we mean by originality in a PhD research? In another words,
>under what condition, a PhD topic will be considered original?
Phillips, E. M & Pugh, D.S. (1994), How to get a PhD: A handbook for
students and their supervisors (2nd Ed), Open University:Philadelphia, state
1. Setting down a major piece of new information in writing for the first time.
2. Continuing a previously orginal piece of work.
3. Carrying out orginal work designed by the supervisor
4. Providing a single orginal technique, observation or result in an
otherwise unorginal but competent piece of research.
5. Having many orginal ideas, methods, and interpretations all performed by
others under the direction of the post graduate.
6. Showing orginality in testing somebody else's ideas.
7. Carrying out empirical work that just hasn't been done before.
8. Making a systhesis that hasn't been made before.
9. Using already known material but with a new interpretation.
10. Trying out something in this country that has previously only been done
in other countries.
11. Taking a particular technique and applying it in a new area.
12. Bringing new evidence to bear on an old issue.
13. Being cross-disciplinary and using different methodologies.
14. Looking at areas that people in the discipline haven't looked at before.
15. Adding to knowledge in a way that hasn't previously been done before.
I'm just begining my MA looking at some land use change patterns in
Singapore with the help of GIS. I'm sending this to the list to seek the
comments of the more knowledgeble on how one can be orginal also.
*To post a message to the list, send it to ai-geostats@....
*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
of any useful responses to your questions.
*To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@... with no subject and
"unsubscribe ai-geostats" in the message body.
DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list!