GEOSTATS: A simple question

  • Mohammad J Abedini
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 1997
      Greetings,

      I have a Friday afternoon question. In fact, a chain of questions. please
      forgive me if it is not relevant.

      1. What do we mean by originality in a PhD research? In another words,
      under what condition, a PhD topic will be considered original?

      2. For those who have real contribution to science, do they achieve it
      during the period when they were student or when they were teacher?

      Best of luck.
      Abedini
      \|||/
      (o o)
      +=================oOO==(_)==OOo=================+
      |_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
      |__|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|__|__|
      |_____| |_____|
      |__|__| Mohammad J. Abedini |__|__|
      |_____| School of Engineering |_____|
      |_____| University of Guelph |_____|
      |_____| Guelph Ont, N1G 2W1 |_____|
      |__|__| Tel.:(519) 824-4120 ext. 4321 (W) |__|__|
      |__|__| Tel.:(519) 821-1199 (H) |__|__|
      |_____| Fax :(519) 836-0227 |_____|
      |_____| e-mail: mabedini@... |_____|
      |__|__|___________________________________|__|__|
      |_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
      +===============================================+
      The world is your exercise-book, the pages on which you do your sums.
      You are also free to write nonsense, or lies, or to tear the pages.

      Richard Bach

    • Shahab Mohaghegh
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 1997
        Here is my 2 cents worth....

        Mohammad J Abedini wrote:
        > 1. What do we mean by originality in a PhD research? In another words,
        > under what condition, a PhD topic will be considered original?

        In my view an original Ph.D. research (which is what distinguishes it
        from
        a Masters thesis) is that the research can not be an improvement of an
        already existin work. By that I mean; it should not solve an a problem
        that has already been solve, but using a new method.
        It should provide a solution to an old problem that has either gone
        unsolved or un-noticed (the importance of the problem of course is an
        important issue. One of the aspects of originality is freshness of the
        idea. Looking at a problem in a new way. Make a case on its importance
        and then offer a solution. The Ph.D. committee during the comprehensive
        examination (or whatever it is called indifferent universities) (not the
        defens) should be convinced that this work is a contribution (granted it
        may
        be quite incremental)to the field the candidate is pursuing a Ph.D. in.
        Which brings us to the next question.

        > 2. For those who have real contribution to science, do they achieve it
        > during the period when they were student or when they were teacher?

        An overwhelming majority have contributed most significantly after they
        have completed their Ph.D. But the I truly believe that the period
        during
        which one strugles through the grinding Ph.D. process contributes to the
        individuals scope of the sciens in general and his/her own field
        specifically.

        Best of luck to you....

        Cheers
        Shahab
        # Shahab Mohaghegh, Ph.D. | URL: http://www.pe.wvu.edu #
        # Assistant Professor | Email: shahab@... #
        # Petroleum & Natural Gas Eng. | #
        # West Virginia University | Voice: (304) 293-7682 #
        # Morgantown,WV 26506-6070 | Fax: (304) 293-5708 #
      • Adriel Yap
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 1997
          At 19:55 28/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
          >Greetings,
          >
          >I have a Friday afternoon question. In fact, a chain of questions. please
          >forgive me if it is not relevant.
          >
          >1. What do we mean by originality in a PhD research? In another words,
          >under what condition, a PhD topic will be considered original?

          Dear Abedini

          Phillips, E. M & Pugh, D.S. (1994), How to get a PhD: A handbook for
          students and their supervisors (2nd Ed), Open University:Philadelphia, state
          the following:

          1. Setting down a major piece of new information in writing for the first time.
          2. Continuing a previously orginal piece of work.
          3. Carrying out orginal work designed by the supervisor
          4. Providing a single orginal technique, observation or result in an
          otherwise unorginal but competent piece of research.
          5. Having many orginal ideas, methods, and interpretations all performed by
          others under the direction of the post graduate.
          6. Showing orginality in testing somebody else's ideas.
          7. Carrying out empirical work that just hasn't been done before.
          8. Making a systhesis that hasn't been made before.
          9. Using already known material but with a new interpretation.
          10. Trying out something in this country that has previously only been done
          in other countries.
          11. Taking a particular technique and applying it in a new area.
          12. Bringing new evidence to bear on an old issue.
          13. Being cross-disciplinary and using different methodologies.
          14. Looking at areas that people in the discipline haven't looked at before.
          15. Adding to knowledge in a way that hasn't previously been done before.

          I'm just begining my MA looking at some land use change patterns in
          Singapore with the help of GIS. I'm sending this to the list to seek the
          comments of the more knowledgeble on how one can be orginal also.

          Adriel Yap
          Singapore
          yapper@...