GEOSTATS: DeadLine IAMG'97: january 31st.

  • Eric LEWIN - IPGP Geochimie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 1997
      Hello all ai-geostatisticians,

      I am a bit astonished not to have seen this announcement here, though I
      may have missed it. So, just in case, this recall of the deadline for the
      IAMG'97 congress, to be held in Barcelona, Spain, september 22-27, 1997,
      and for which the deadline is this january 31st. More info can be retrieved
      from http://www.iamg.org/iamg97.html, or asked to iamg97@....

      Here follows a copy of the third announcement, as found on the cited web site.

      Third Announcement IAMG'97
      (update 8/1/97)

      The organizing committe of the next Association conference, to be held in
      Barcelona, Spain, September 22-27, 1997, has been busy preparing for the
      occasion. Everything is going on fine, and there are already 135
      pre-registrations and 20 abstracts! At this moment events on schedule
      include 14 short courses and workshops, 4 keynote lectures, and 12 special
      sessions. Short courses and workshops will be presented in a separate
      brochure. If you are interested in getting it, please do not forget to send
      your pre-registration.

      Keynote lectures:
      1. Dr. John Aitchison - Krumbein Medal 1995:
      "Compositional data analysis"

      2. Dr. Georgy Bardossy: "Geomathematics as seen by a geologist
      (Is there a bridge between geologists and geomathematicians?)"

      3. Dr. Qiuming Cheng - President's Prize 1995:
      "Fractal/multifractal modeling and spatial analysis"

      4. Dr. Clayton Deutsch - Presidents Prize 1994:
      "Constraining Geostatistical Models to Dynamic Flow-Related Data"

      Technical sessions - topics and conveners:

      1. Statistical analysis of compositional data in the earth sciences
      Conveners: Vera Pawlowsky-Glahn & Zhou Di
      Topics: methodological approaches to compositional data analysis; software
      suitable for compositional data analysis; application of new methodologies
      and case studies.

      2. Different views of the Darss Sill data set
      Conveners: John Davis & Jan Harff

      3. Compositional data in petrophysics
      Conveners: John Doveton & Dan Tetzlaff; Co-sponsors: SPWLA
      Topics: reviews of compositional solution algorithms; assessment of
      multiple models; problems such as compositional colinearity, unrealistic
      composition values, spatial conti-nuity constraints, and logging tool
      errors, and the match (or mismatch) of mathematical optimality with
      geological reality.

      4. Quantitative Methods in Environmental Geosciences
      Andrea Fabbri; In cooperation with: COGEOENVIRONMENT
      Topics: geologic setting as a context to environmental hazard and risk;
      environmental databases for assessment and prediction; environmental impact
      assessment and multicriteria decision aids; slope instability, seismic and
      volcanic hazard; aquifer and soil vulnerability to pollution; GIS and
      remote sensing in environmental applications; geostatistics and computer
      simulation in environmental analysis; landscape ecology and geochemistry,
      geomedicine.

      5. Numerical methods in the earth sciences (26th Geochautauqua).
      Conveners: Andrea Förster & Dan Merriam

      6. Seismology, volcanism and geodynamical settings
      Conveners: Antonella Buccianti & Alex Woronow;
      In cooperation with GIAST (Group of Informatics Applied to Earth Sciences,
      C.N.R., Italy)
      Topics: seismology, geochemistry and petrology related to magmatism at
      constructive and destructive margins and to within plate magmatism; applied
      geophysics, integrated geophysical problems, earthquake and volcanology
      statistics and prediction; management of geophysical data, plate tectonics,
      application to the Mediterranean area; geodynamical settings, tectonic and
      magmatic discrimination diagrams; geochemical and petrological modeling:
      magmatic differentiation processes, mixing phenomena, contamination;
      compositional data analysis in geochemistry and petrology, methods and
      diagrams for rocks classification.

      7. Developments in computer applications and software in the geosciences.
      Convener: Eric Grunsky
      Topics: recent developments in software for the geosciences; developments
      in computer based methods applied to the geosciences; application of
      computer based methods in the geosciences.

      8. Neural networks, fractals and other concepts in fashion.
      Conveners: Susanna Sirotinskaya & Frits Agterberg
      Topics: neural networks versus multivariate statistics; fractals and
      estimation of fractal dimensions; multifractals and lacunarity analysis;
      wavelets in stratigraphy; Milankovitsch cycles and geological time-scale
      construction; unpredictability, randomness and chaos theory in geoscience.

      9. Marine Geology.
      Convener: Karl Stattegger & Bernd J. Haupt
      Topics: evaluation of proxy-data: statistics, aerial and spatial
      distributions; trends and periodicities in the sedimentary record;
      numerical modeling in paleoceanography - large, medium, small scale; mass
      balancing: water and sediment; particle and sediment transport; modeling of
      the ocean-basin sediment fill.

      10. Geostatistics.
      Convener: Hans Wackernagel & Ana Fernandez-Militino
      Topics: linear and multivariate geostatistics; geostatistical approaches to
      compositional data; non-linear geostatistics; non-stationary geostatistics;
      conditional simulations; space-time modelling; environmental geostatistics.

      11. Modeling subsurface flow.
      Convener: Jaime Gomez-Hernandez & Clayton V. Deutsch
      Topics: aquifer/reservoir characterization; use of indirect information to
      improve subsurface flow modeling; upscaling; inverse modeling; uncertainty
      assesment in subsurface flow model predictions; case studies based on
      innovative applications in any of the previous topics.

      12. Engeneering geology.
      Conveners: Heinz Burger & Juan Jose Egozcue-Rubi
      The organizing committee may reshape the program depending on the interest
      of the participants. Do not worry if your favorite subject is not included
      as a main topic. Any contribution related to mathematical geology passing
      the review of the Scientific Committee will have the right to be in the
      final program.

      Abstracts:
      Interested contributors for oral, poster or software presentations should
      submit a one- page abstract of 200 to 400 words in English without figures
      or references before 31 January 1997. Contributions will be selected by
      peer review of the submitted abstracts by at least two referees. Only the
      extended abstracts of accepted contributions will be published.
      Notification of acceptance together with instructions for the camera-ready
      manuscript (maximum of four pages) will be mailed on 31 March 1997. The
      final, camera-ready copy will be due before 30 May 1997. Participants at
      the conference will receive a volume of extended abstracts. Following the
      conference, authors of selected papers will be invited to present an
      article to be published in a special volume. Abstracts can be submitted
      either by regular mail or by e-mail in ASCII or *.RTF format to the con-
      ference secretariat.

      Everybody is encouraged to participate. For additional information, please
      contact the conference secretariat at the following address:

      Barbara Schmitt
      IAMG'97 Conference Secretariat
      CIMNE - International Center for
      Numerical Methods in Engineering
      Campus Nord UPC (Edifici C1)
      E-08034 Barcelona (SPAIN)
      tel.: +34 - 3 - 401 60 37
      fax.: +34 - 3 - 401 65 17
      e-mail: iamg97@...
      http://www.iam.org/iamg97.html

      ----------------
      --Eric Lewin

      =====[ Eric LEWIN - lewin@... - IPGP Geochimie ]=====
      = Labo de Geochimie et Cosmochimie / Institut de Physique du Globe =
      ========================== Paris - FRANCE ==========================

    • Dubois Gregoire
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 1997
        Greetings,

        the IAMG conference like other conferences are announced on the
        ai-geostats conferences & courses Web page at

        http://java.ei.jrc.it/rem/gregoire/conference.html

        The IAMG conference is presented there since around 6 months....

        Best regards,

        Gregoire

        <gregoire.dubois@...>