GEOSTATS: GSLIB Gaussian Sim Question

  • Andrew Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 1997
      Hi there

      About a month ago I posted this message asking about GSLIB's Gaussian
      Simulation program. I had one reply [thanks] but I need write up an
      outline/derivation of the algorithm. Neither of Isaaks & Srivastava or
      Wackernagel appear to deal with simulations.

      ** Are there any references that explain the Gaussian Simulation algorithm
      with the readability of I&S or W? **

      Thanks

      My original post was:

      > Can someone help me out with a question.
      >
      > My understanding of GSLIB's sgsimm Sequential Gaussian Simulation program
      > is that it produces a gridded map of values, each of which comes from a
      > Gaussian [Normal] distribution, and as a whole has an experimental variogram
      > much more similar to the sample experimental variogram than that of ordinary
      > kriging.
      >
      > Q1: Is this true?
      > Q2: if so, how do they do it?
      >
      > I am guessing that at each point, z_i~~N(mu,sigma). I presume the parameters
      > are the kriged value and kriging variance. That seems reasonable, except
      > that I thought the kriging variance wasnt a very good measure of estimation
      > error??
      > Accepting that, how do they impose the constraint on the variogram produced
      > by the simulation??
      >
      > Any help will be gratefully accepted.
      >
      > I apologize if this is a RTFM-type question.
      >
      > uoY knahT
      >
      > Andrew
      Dr Andrew Gill Room:203d

      Department of Applied Mathematics Email: agill@...
      Mathematics Building Phone: 08-3035577
      The University of Adelaide Fax: 08-3033696
      Adelaide, SA, 5005