Re: GEOSTATS: Geostatistics in the Social Sciences.

  • paulrc05@garnet.berkeley.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 1997
      I don't know whether I have sent this to the list correctly, but:

      Durkheim (1897) is a good starting point for references to geostatistics
      in the social sciences. All of ecological theory in Sociology has since
      been entangled with geostatistical issues (although seldom addressing them
      as such). O.D. Duncan is the most famous expositor of this position.

      Geostatistical issues re lattice models have been discovered and
      rediscovered in Sociology over the years. Dorien's work is but one
      example. Since then Collins and Loftus (1985?) have addressed this issue
      in studies of world fertility rates and Kenneth Land has become concerned
      with the importance of geostatistical issues to models of criminal
      behavior (again reinventing the wheel). There has also been some fine
      theoretical work begun in spatial analyses of social networks (Peter
      Marsden).

      My own work has been in environmental models of substance abuse (alcohol
      and other drugs), providing geostatistical models of the distribution of
      substances, use and harmful consequences (lattice models).

      Other than this, after four years of searching, I have found little of
      consequence. Best of luck. - Paul

    • Hajime TAKATSUKA
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 1997
        Dear Robert and all geostatisians,

        I am also a researcher using spatial statistics and econometrics in the
        field of Real Estate analysis. In fact, I have wrote two papers about
        land price models and spatial autocorrelation. My second (and recent)
        paper is forthcoming in Japanese journal of Applied Regional Science
        Conference (Vol.2) and its abstract is as follows:

        Land Price Models Considering Spatial Dependence of Expectation:
        Specification and Estimation Methods

        Existing empirical studies on spatio-temporal dynamics of land prices do
        not have a clear basic theory about formation of expectation in
        space. On the other hand, analyses using traditional dividend (rent)
        discount model based on rational expectation does not consider spatial
        dependence of expectation. This study specifies expectation models
        considering spatial dependence, combines them with an arbitrage equation
        and deduces some land price models. As a result, instantaneous spatial
        autoregressiveness of land prices is justified and effectiveness of spatial
        econometric approach to land price analysis is shown. In addition,
        estimation methods of the models are proposed.

        The body of the paper is in Japanese, but I am rewriting it in English.
        Therefore, if somebody want to read it, I will be able to send the English
        version.

        By the way, Robert wrote;
        >In Real Estate several papers are forthcoming in the journals which make use of
        >spatial statistical techniques. Goetzmann and ?, Can and
        >Megbolugbe, and Pace and Gilley all have forthcoming articles using at least
        >some spatial statistics. I am editing a special issue on spatial statistics and
        >real estate.

        If you know the name and the volume number of the journals, please tell me them.
        Thank you very much.

        Sincerely,
        Hajime Takatsuka
        Hajime TAKATSUKA
        Higuchi Lab, Department of Social Engineering
        Tokyo Institute of Technology
        2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo -152 JAPAN
        E-mail:takatsu@...
        TEL:+(81-3)5734-2808
        FAX:+(81-3)5734-2926