GEOSTATS: Geostatistics in the Social Sciences.

  • Robert K. Pace
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 1997
      Geography is a social science and of course has extensively used georeferenced
      data to look at social phenomenon. Look over the issues of Geographical Analysis
      for examples.

      Sociology has used some spatial techniques on occasion (cf Doreian).

      Economics has used geostatistical techniques. For example, look at Dubin (1988)
      Review of Economics and Statistics. Look at the book Spatial Econometrics by
      Anselin (1988). Dubin has also done kriging on urban house values.

      James LeSage has a article in the AJAE proceedings on spatial and ag econ.

      In Real Estate several papers are forthcoming in the journals which make use of
      spatial statistical techniques. Goetzmann and ?, Can and
      Megbolugbe, and Pace and Gilley all have forthcoming articles using at least
      some spatial statistics. I am editing a special issue on spatial statistics and
      real estate.

      You are correct in that the number of existing applications seems small relative
      to the potential of spatial techniques (most social science applications use
      lattice models and not pure geostatistical techniques).

      Kelley Pace
      U of Alaska

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 1997
        I don't know whether I have sent this to the list correctly, but:

        Durkheim (1897) is a good starting point for references to geostatistics
        in the social sciences. All of ecological theory in Sociology has since
        been entangled with geostatistical issues (although seldom addressing them
        as such). O.D. Duncan is the most famous expositor of this position.

        Geostatistical issues re lattice models have been discovered and
        rediscovered in Sociology over the years. Dorien's work is but one
        example. Since then Collins and Loftus (1985?) have addressed this issue
        in studies of world fertility rates and Kenneth Land has become concerned
        with the importance of geostatistical issues to models of criminal
        behavior (again reinventing the wheel). There has also been some fine
        theoretical work begun in spatial analyses of social networks (Peter
        Marsden).

        My own work has been in environmental models of substance abuse (alcohol
        and other drugs), providing geostatistical models of the distribution of
        substances, use and harmful consequences (lattice models).

        Other than this, after four years of searching, I have found little of
        consequence. Best of luck. - Paul

      • Hajime TAKATSUKA
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 1997
          Dear Robert and all geostatisians,

          I am also a researcher using spatial statistics and econometrics in the
          field of Real Estate analysis. In fact, I have wrote two papers about
          land price models and spatial autocorrelation. My second (and recent)
          paper is forthcoming in Japanese journal of Applied Regional Science
          Conference (Vol.2) and its abstract is as follows:

          Land Price Models Considering Spatial Dependence of Expectation:
          Specification and Estimation Methods

          Existing empirical studies on spatio-temporal dynamics of land prices do
          not have a clear basic theory about formation of expectation in
          space. On the other hand, analyses using traditional dividend (rent)
          discount model based on rational expectation does not consider spatial
          dependence of expectation. This study specifies expectation models
          considering spatial dependence, combines them with an arbitrage equation
          and deduces some land price models. As a result, instantaneous spatial
          autoregressiveness of land prices is justified and effectiveness of spatial
          econometric approach to land price analysis is shown. In addition,
          estimation methods of the models are proposed.

          The body of the paper is in Japanese, but I am rewriting it in English.
          Therefore, if somebody want to read it, I will be able to send the English
          version.

          By the way, Robert wrote;
          >In Real Estate several papers are forthcoming in the journals which make use of
          >spatial statistical techniques. Goetzmann and ?, Can and
          >Megbolugbe, and Pace and Gilley all have forthcoming articles using at least
          >some spatial statistics. I am editing a special issue on spatial statistics and
          >real estate.

          If you know the name and the volume number of the journals, please tell me them.
          Thank you very much.

          Sincerely,
          Hajime Takatsuka
          Hajime TAKATSUKA
          Higuchi Lab, Department of Social Engineering
          Tokyo Institute of Technology
          2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo -152 JAPAN
          E-mail:takatsu@...
          TEL:+(81-3)5734-2808
          FAX:+(81-3)5734-2926