GEOSTATS: RE: Matrix Algebra

  • Robert K. Pace
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 1997
      There are many, many packages which handle matrix algebra.

      I have Gauss by Aptech Systems and Matlab by the Mathworks. I have used both
      extensively and both are fine products. I currently prefer Matlab, especially
      with their upgrade to version 5 which has many new features. Gauss has generally
      had greater market penetration in economics and business while Matlab has had
      greater penetration into engineering. It also is the standard package used in
      teaching students about linear algebra.

      Many statistical packages also do most matrix algebra operations. For example,
      S+ and SAS-IML can do most of the operations needed.

      A number of lesser known matrix packages abound which often do not cost very
      much relative to the well-known commercial products. For example, Octave,
      Mathviews, etc.

      Kelley Pace
      U of Alaska