GEOSTATS: modeling periodicity with anisotropic approach

  • Berterretche, Mercedes
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2000
      Suppose I have a variable (Leaf area index) that shows periodicity in its
      semivariograms (at several lags). And this periodicity can be seen in the
      E-W direction in a satellite image. There is also a N-S trend (values
      increasing to the south). When modeling an omnidirectional variogram, a
      nested model including a spherical and hole effect structures fits
      adequately the sample variogram. The rose variogram indicates that the
      azimuth angle = 160 degrees is the major direction of continuity; so 160 and
      70 degrees are the angles selected to approach the problem with anisotropy.
      The directional variograms also show periodicity but the hole model effect
      cannot be applied in more than one direction (Deutsh and Journel,
      Geostatistical Software Library and user's guide, page 25). So each
      directional variogram is modeled with a nested model including two spherical
      models; this model does not represent the periodicity of the variable. When
      performing ordinary kriging or conditional simulation the use of the
      omnidirectional model gives better results (visually and statistically)than
      the use of the anisotropic model.

      Is there a way by which I can include the periodicity in the anisotropic
      model or do I just have to accept the omnidirectional approach as the best
      one in this case, because it represents better the periodic behavior?

      Thanks in advance,
      mercedes berterretche