GEOSTATS: interpolation with obstacles

  • Patrick Maupin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2000
      Dear group,

      I am currently struggling with an interpolation problem dealing with
      obstacles and I would like to get advise from more experienced persons.

      Data : 8 000 answers to a survey corresponding to roughly to 4000 postal
      code centroids.

      Goal : interpolate these answers over the Island of Montreal (500 sq.
      km) in order to produce a grid allowing further analysis.

      Problem : interpolate the answers only in specific land-use polygons,
      taking into account holes and not compatible land-use polygons for the
      distance calculations.

      I have to use VM but it does'nt seem to take into account such obstacles
      in its calculations. All it seems to be able to do is mask the results
      with the undesirable polygones. Someone told me about gstats, but can it
      solve this problem ?

      A truck load of thanks,

      patrick

      --
      Patrick Maupin

      Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications de Bretagne
      Departement Image et Traitement de l'Information
      29285 BREST CEDEX FRANCE

      Ecole de technologie superieure
      Departement de genie de la production automatisee
      1100, rue Notre-Dame Ouest
      Montreal (Quebec), Canada H3C 1K3