GEOSTATS: Kernel Density Estimation

  • Mark Thurstain-Goodwin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 1997
      Dear all,

      I am currently conducting research on British town centre areas using
      socio-economic data modelled in a GIS environment. I am using ArcView 3.0
      along with the Spatial Analyst Module and am mostly using the density
      estimator in the module. However, I have a couple of queries that I hope
      you might be able to help me with.

      1) Firstly, as the Module is very black-boxy, I have no idea what density
      algorithm is actually being used. Any ideas?

      Nevertheless, it has been extremely useful for modelling fine scale
      employment data (geo-refenced to the UK unit postcode level) and the
      derived density surfaces seem to make sense. In fact, this component of
      the spatial analyst module seems to be the most robust (and easily
      accessible); this leads me onto my second query.

      2) I also want to generate a surface of rental data, again unit postcode
      referenced. Is it legimate to use a kernel density algorthim to do this
      (bearing in mind that rental data already includes an areal component) or
      should I turn to geostatical methods such as kriging?

      And finally,

      3) The bandwidth of the kernel is obviously a key component of the
      algorithm. I understand there are many 'rules of thumb' for deriving a
      bandwidth from a dataset. Does anyone have any suggestions or personnal
      favorites?

      Cheers,

      Mark

      Mark Thurstain-Goodwin Tel: +44 (0)171 391 1299
      Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis Fax: +44 (0)171 813 2843
      University College London
      Gower Street EMail: mark.thurstain-goodwin@...
      London WC1E 6BT http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/casa/
      UK