GEOSTATS: Spatial Correlation Statistics

  • Tom Berger
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2000
      Hi,

      I'm new to the list and have a general question regarding
      resources for spatial statistics techniques, particularly
      those relevant to determining spatial correlation of objects
      seen in different spectral bands. Specifically, I'm looking at
      magnetic concentrations in the solar photosphere which show
      up in high resolution molecular-band filtergrams as bright points.
      I have simultaneous magnetic field measurements which look
      somewhat the same, but different enough to be interesting. The
      question is: how can I best quantitatively describe the spatial
      correlation between the bright points and the magnetic field
      measurements? Again, these are basically two different images
      of a bunch of little amorphous blobs scattered randomly over
      the field of view and the task is to quantify their relationship
      in both position and shape.

      Thanks for any input.

      Tom Berger

      Lockheed-Martin
      Solar and Astrophysics Lab. 650-354-5819 Voicemail
      Dept. L9-41, Bldg. 252 650-424-3994 Fax
      3251 Hanover St. http://diapason.lmsal.com/~berger
      Palo Alto, CA, 94304 berger@...