GEOSTATS: Sum: meaning of this semi variogram

  • Linda Lilburne
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2000
      Hi

      I tidied up my email today and discovered that I'd not posted a summary to
      my question (see below). Thanks to Brian Gray, Carme Hervada-Sala,
      Pierre Goovaerts. Some people could read the gif image of our
      semivariogram and some couldn't. Apparently a gif generated from
      alchemy is not a good format to use.

      Nobody came up with any papers where aspect had been included in a
      kriging analysis. I was advised to check the semi variogram cloud and
      the number of pairs used. We concluded that the variogram showed a
      pure nugget effect.

      Thanks
      Linda Lilburne

      > We have two sets of data (average monthly soil temperature) from
      > different scales:
      > 1) climate station data throughout the south island of New Zealand -
      > always on flat sites, mostly but not only on the plains or in rolling hill
      > country. #data = 23
      > 2) a set of 7 clusters of data from data loggers. Each cluster covers
      > approximately 10-15km and is designed to sample a range of elevations
      > and aspects (stratified). The clusters are located at 7 sites throughout
      > the south island but only on the steeplands. #data = 109
      >
      > We have detrended this data for latitude, elevation, distance from coast
      > and aspect. The resulting semivariogram of the residuals is attached. X
      > axis is metres. No declustering has been done. The semivariogram for
      > the data from the datalogger only shows a similar pattern but with
      points
      > for the intermediate lags missing. A semivariogram from climate station
      > data only (but a decade earlier when there were more stations)
      indicates