GEOSTATS: Cost distance calculation

  • ELSA NICKL
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29 8:24 AM
      Dear friends,

      Some weeks ago, I did a question about contiguity matrix standarization. Thank
      you very much Dr. Bivand for your help.
      As I told you, I am doing a research about the application of spatial analysis
      techniques to relate educational and geographical variables. Now I am trying to
      measure the effort of children in rural areas to arrive their schools; they have
      to walk one or more hours through a sloped pathway. I want to calculate the
      effort they make, and later use these results to relate the effort with other
      variables (like nutritional levels, efficiency in their school, access to
      communication, etc). I think I have some options: the VARCOST function of
      Idrisi, to construct a regression model based in observed data, to construct a
      simple model based in physics laws (considering friction and gravitational
      forces). What do you think about? Can somebody knows about some paper related
      with this?.

      Thanks
      Elsa Nickl