GEOSTATS: introduction/ question

  • Jon Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2000
      Hello everyone,
      I am a newbie to geostats (I have done a little stochastic work in
      hydrogeology but not much else) community and I have a question for you
      folks. I am interested in kriging a set of about 2100 borehole logs to
      generate a 3D picture of the subsurface in a watershed. I have defined 19
      separate classes of materials in the boreholes (sand, silt, gravel, etc.)
      and am, at present, skipping making combinations of materials into a class
      because I do not want to introduce any more uncertainty into the system (it
      has enough already!). Anyway, I wanted to find an appropriate kriging
      routine for this situation. The routine would only be allowed to use one of
      the 19 defined classes for a value at any given point and can not
      interpolate between defined classes. With this criteria in mind I chose
      indicator kriging as the my desired method.

      Now here is my questions/problems.
      1) I would like to know if indicator kriging is the approach I should take.
      2) I have a copy of the book GSLIB (1st edition) which has an indicator
      kriging routine in it but it is a 2-parameter routine. I am wondering if
      anyone knows where I can get my hands on a n-parameter indicator kriging
      routine (preferably for free because I am just a poor humble PhD student)?

      Thanks in advance for your help,

      Jon Paul Jones
      University of Waterloo
      Department of Earth Sciences
      Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L-3G1
      Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 2984
      Fax: 519-746-7484
      "Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not all out to
      get you."

    • Heinz Burger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2000
        Hello Jon,

        if you are not familiar with geometrical a n d geostatistical 3D-modelling
        then I would emphatically recommend to look for an alternative approach to
        your problem, i.e. correspondig to the scientific problem which you would like
        analyse, e.g.

        1. is it possible to reduce to 2D
        2. can you transform classes of materials into hydro-geological relevant
        parameters (porosity, permeability or K-values) so that you can
        work with a single parameter in 3D space (which is difficult enough)
        3.? etc

        If you want to get a picture of the subsurface only then the relation
        of scientific result/expenditure tends to zero.

        Regards,

        Heinz Burger

        Jon Jones schrieb:

        > Hello everyone,
        > I am a newbie to geostats (I have done a little stochastic work in
        > hydrogeology but not much else) community and I have a question for you
        > folks. I am interested in kriging a set of about 2100 borehole logs to
        > generate a 3D picture of the subsurface in a watershed. I have defined 19
        > separate classes of materials in the boreholes (sand, silt, gravel, etc.)
        > and am, at present, skipping making combinations of materials into a class
        > because I do not want to introduce any more uncertainty into the system (it
        > has enough already!). Anyway, I wanted to find an appropriate kriging
        > routine for this situation. The routine would only be allowed to use one of
        > the 19 defined classes for a value at any given point and can not
        > interpolate between defined classes. With this criteria in mind I chose
        > indicator kriging as the my desired method.
        >
        > Now here is my questions/problems.
        > 1) I would like to know if indicator kriging is the approach I should take.
        > 2) I have a copy of the book GSLIB (1st edition) which has an indicator
        > kriging routine in it but it is a 2-parameter routine. I am wondering if
        > anyone knows where I can get my hands on a n-parameter indicator kriging
        > routine (preferably for free because I am just a poor humble PhD student)?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help,
        >
        > Jon Paul Jones
        > University of Waterloo
        > Department of Earth Sciences
        > Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L-3G1
        > Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 2984
        > Fax: 519-746-7484
        > "Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not all out to
        > get you."

        Dr. Heinz Burger
        Freie Universitaet Berlin
        - Geoinformatik -
        Malteserstr. 74-100
        12249 BERLIN, Germany
        Tel. (49) 30-838-70561 Fax: (49) 30-775-2075
        e-mail: hburger@...-berlin.de
        Web-Seite: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~hburger
      • Gilles Bourgault
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2000
          Hi Jon,

          Indicator Kriging can work with as many classes as you want. At each grid node, it

          will give the probability for each class. You would then need to extract the most
          probable
          class for each node, if you are after a categorical model. For the same amount of
          modeling
          efforts, Sequential Indicator Simulation can give you the categorical model by
          sequential
          Monte-Carlo sampling from those local probabilyties.

          Both algorithms require a variogram model for each class and both are available in
          GSLIB.

          Gilles

          Heinz Burger wrote:

          > Hello Jon,
          >
          > if you are not familiar with geometrical a n d geostatistical 3D-modelling
          > then I would emphatically recommend to look for an alternative approach to
          > your problem, i.e. correspondig to the scientific problem which you would like
          > analyse, e.g.
          >
          > 1. is it possible to reduce to 2D
          > 2. can you transform classes of materials into hydro-geological relevant
          > parameters (porosity, permeability or K-values) so that you can
          > work with a single parameter in 3D space (which is difficult enough)
          > 3.? etc
          >
          > If you want to get a picture of the subsurface only then the relation
          > of scientific result/expenditure tends to zero.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Heinz Burger
          >
          > Jon Jones schrieb:
          >
          > > Hello everyone,
          > > I am a newbie to geostats (I have done a little stochastic work in
          > > hydrogeology but not much else) community and I have a question for you
          > > folks. I am interested in kriging a set of about 2100 borehole logs to
          > > generate a 3D picture of the subsurface in a watershed. I have defined 19
          > > separate classes of materials in the boreholes (sand, silt, gravel, etc.)
          > > and am, at present, skipping making combinations of materials into a class
          > > because I do not want to introduce any more uncertainty into the system (it
          > > has enough already!). Anyway, I wanted to find an appropriate kriging
          > > routine for this situation. The routine would only be allowed to use one of
          > > the 19 defined classes for a value at any given point and can not
          > > interpolate between defined classes. With this criteria in mind I chose
          > > indicator kriging as the my desired method.
          > >
          > > Now here is my questions/problems.
          > > 1) I would like to know if indicator kriging is the approach I should take.
          > > 2) I have a copy of the book GSLIB (1st edition) which has an indicator
          > > kriging routine in it but it is a 2-parameter routine. I am wondering if
          > > anyone knows where I can get my hands on a n-parameter indicator kriging
          > > routine (preferably for free because I am just a poor humble PhD student)?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for your help,
          > >
          > > Jon Paul Jones
          > > University of Waterloo
          > > Department of Earth Sciences
          > > Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L-3G1
          > > Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 2984
          > > Fax: 519-746-7484
          > > "Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not all out to
          > > get you."
          > >
          > > --
          > > *As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
          > > of any useful responses to your questions.

          > Dr. Heinz Burger
          > Freie Universitaet Berlin
          > - Geoinformatik -
          > Malteserstr. 74-100
          > 12249 BERLIN, Germany
          > Tel. (49) 30-838-70561 Fax: (49) 30-775-2075
          > e-mail: hburger@...-berlin.de
          > Web-Seite: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~hburger

          Gilles Bourgault RC Squared Inc.
          Senior Geostatistician 9177 East Mineral Circle
          E-mail: gilles@... Suite 100
          Phone: 303-749-7962 Englewood CO 80112
          /RRR CCC\ 2 USA
          | RRR C | http://www.rc2.com