GEOSTATS: spectrally-estimated variogram fitting

  • Geoffrey Moret
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2000
      Greetings,

      I have large data sets on regular grids which I wish to analyse
      geostatistically, so I have been using two-dimensional Fourier transforms
      to obtain the autocorrelation functions, which I then subtract from the
      variances to obtain the semivariograms.
      I am happy with the results, but I am unsure as to how to fit a model. I
      would like to use weighted least squares, but I have not been able to
      locate a formula for the variance of each lag of a spectrally determined
      autocorrelation function, which I would need to do the weighting. Does
      anyone know such a formula? Have people successfully fit semivariograms
      estimated in this way using other methods?

      Thank You,

      Geoff Moret

      Rock Physics
      University of British Columbia