GEOSTATS: Summary: fractal dimension of spatial correlation

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 1905
      Dear all,

      here is the list of references I was looking for about
      the use of fractals to analyse spatial correlation.

      Thanks a lot to

      Jennifer Dungan, Chris Lloyd, Charles Pearson, Sytze de Bruin,
      Niels Nielsen, Pierre Goovaerts, Joao Felipe Costa (I hope I didn't forget
      anyone)

      Best regards

      Gregoire

      Nikora, V.; Pearson, C.P.; Shankar, U. (1999).
      Scaling properties in landscape patterns: New Zealand experience.
      Landscape Ecology 14: 17-33.

      De Jong, S.M., and Burrough, P.A. (1995).
      A fractal approach to the classification of Mediterranean
      vegetation types in remotely sensed images.
      Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 61(8):1041-1053.

      Bian, L. and S. J. Walsh (1993)
      Scale dependencies of vegetation and topography in a mountainous environment
      of Montana. Professional Geographer, 45: 1-11.

      Klinkenberg, B. and M. F. Goodchild (1992)
      The fractal properties of topography: A comparison of methods.
      Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 17: 217-234.

      Tate, N. (1998)
      Estimating the fractal dimension of synthetic topographic surfaces.
      Computers and Geosciences, 24, 325-334.

      Wen, R. and R. Sinding-Larsen (1997)
      Uncertainty in fractal dimension estimated from power spectra and variograms.
      Mathematical Geology, 29: 727-753.

      Goovaerts, P., G. Gerard, and R. Frankart. (1989).
      Etude de la variabilite spatiale de quelques proprietes chimiques du
      sol en Fagnes de Chimay, Belgique.
      Pedologie, 39(1): 191-207. (in French)

      Costa & Dimitrakopoulos (1998)
      A conditional fractal (fBm) simulation approach for orebody modelling
      Int. Journal of Surface mining and Reclamation12: pages ??
      Joao Felipe Costa

      Online:

      Fractal applications can be found in the thesis from Joao Felipe Costa
      in (chapter 6) available for downloading at

      http://www.lapes.ufrgs.br/Laboratorios/lpm/download.html#B

      Gregoire Dubois
      Section of Earth Sciences
      Institute of Mineralogy and Petrography