GEOSTATS: Anisotropy & Gaussian field in the Geostat.

  • Ramanitharan Kandiah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8 11:06 AM
      I am new to this forum (and also to geostat).
      Thus, if my questions are so basic, please bear me.

      My questions are on the variogram analysis.

      1. I can understand the zonal and geometric anisotropies in the sense of
      'Sill' and 'Range,'
      but 'have no feel' in the real physical sense. How the zonal and the
      geometric anisotropies
      are originated, make an effect, and connected to Sill and Range in such a
      fashion one can
      see in the directional variograms. Could someone take some time to explain
      me with a real
      example (mining, hydrology or any other field data and physical
      characteristics)

      2. What is exactly a 'Gaussian filed' mentioned everytime taking about in
      the Random Function?
      (Is it something beyond normal distrbution?)

      3. Why is the need for the random field (data) to be normally distributed
      for the variogram/krigging process?

      Thank you very much.

      K. Ramanitharan,
      Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
      Tulane University
      New Orleans, LA, USA