GEOSTATS: Re: sea bird maps

  • Gedas Vaitkus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6 12:08 AM
      Dear Rhys,

      First of all, thank you very much for encouraging comments on the BaltSAS
      web site. Well, I tried to make it fast, easy to navigate and as much
      informative, as possible. Now we have more materials comming in, so I will
      make serious updates soon.

      Now back to your question on GIS and data processing. You know, there is no
      single GIS or data processing environment, which would do all the work for
      you. Concerning standard (here I mean the most popular) GIS software,
      MapInfo is certainly the best for data management, programming, building
      applications, data exchange, linking to external data, etc. So, it is
      excellent for "building" the spatial database, importing/exportinf
      re-projecting GIS datasets, making large amount of perfect thematic maps
      (note: not map layouts for printing, just "views") easily and exporting them
      to digital formats (Winrows Metafile WMF is clearly the best). However, if
      you want to make nice map layouts for printing (especially on large paper,
      like A1, A0), ArcView is much more stable and has nice options for making
      "map sattionery". Generally ArcView is a more "classical" GIS environment in
      terms of GIS topology, it has really comfortable tools for making map
      legends, etc. The main problem is related with the project file, where you
      actually make the design of your map views and layouts. The file is big,
      code is very difficult to understand and (what is most dangerous), it often
      crashes (God knows why) with only a little hope to make a safe recovery.
      Therefore I never do anything in ArcView without keeping 2 additional copies
      of the project file. And it often saves weeks of my work !

      As I said before, there is no complete and comfortable software environment
      which would answer meet all the analytical and mapping requirements (if it
      exists, must be too complicated or maybe expensive for ordinary people to
      have and work with). What you (and most of us) really need is a combination
      of beloved software tools for (1) database management, (2) geostatistics,
      (3) statistical analysis, (4) GIS/mapping, plus some additional stuff for
      writing, processing graphical files, etc. I myself love a combination of
      FoxPro (does anything you want on your data), Surfer (does geostatistical
      modelling excellently) and MapInfo with MapBasic (handles all the data you
      have/produce in the GIS environment). These are my main working tools.

      A big issue is the "default" coordinate system you handle all your raw
      (sampled), geostatistically processed and GIS data in. I have tried many
      "projected" coordinate systems (UTM, Mercator, etc., etc., etc.), but they
      all gave me nothing, but a headake. The best "default" coordinate system
      towork on your data is a "non-projected" Geographic coordinate system
      (so-called lon/lat) with WGS84 spheroid/datum. There you really "handle" all
      your data. However, if a client wants to have your maps in UTM, there are no
      problems (especially, in MapInfo) to re-project your GIS coverages from one
      "known" to another "known" coordinate system, or even make a definition for
      some specific projection.

      Transferring data from xyz into a GIS environment, or from all available
      digital sources into a GIS-based "model of the reality" is another long
      story. And there is no easy answer how to do this.

      Regards to all

      Gedas Vaitkus

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6 10:29 AM
        Hi all,

        Perhaps, I may be able to shed some light on the "large size" and
        propensity of ArcView project (*.apr) files to crash. As a student, I
        do a lot of work in ArcView, for which my institution has a site-license
        (so I'm working with versions 3.1 and 3.2, the most current versions, on
        NT and Windows98 systems). Generally ArcView has the same sorts of
        problems as most software that uses memory intensively. If you are doing
        lots of manipulation of files and/quering, it will eventually just seize
        up, so it's helpful to save a project frequently.

        I only have problems with project file (*.apr) size or stability if
        I add a large number of labels to the map in a "View" and then save the
        project. Unfortunately, each label gets saved in the project as a page
        worth of (ASCII) code. This allows each label to be independently placed,
        sized, rotated, given an unique font, etc..., but if you have a large
        number of labels (I tried this once for 2,000 polygons), you end up with a
        huge project file that might take days to load up, if it does at all (I
        gave up and rebuilt that project). I've never had time to thoroughly
        investigate possible work arounds to this problem (I add labels just
        before I print or save to another file format), but I suspect it is
        discussed ad nauseum on the ArcView list server managed by ESRI.

        Joyce
        witebsky@...

        snip..