Re: GEOSTATS: reference to Inverse Distance Weighting (IDW)

  • Konstantin Malakhanov
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2000

      Yoshiro> If anybody knows who invented IDW and what
      Yoshiro> was the first publication on this, please let
      Yoshiro> me know any minute information relevant to it.

      The classical reference is:
      Donald Shepard , A two dimensional Interpolation Function for
      Irregulary Spaced Data, Proc. 23rd Nat. Conf. ACM, 1968, pp 517-523.

      But I recommend:
      R. Franke, Scattered Data Interpolation: Test of some Methods
      Mathematics of Computations, v. 38, n. 157, Jan. 1982

      for historical overview and description of other IDW methods.

      Maybe someone also knows other references to modern IDW-based
      approaches (involving crossvalidation for selection of the power
      parameter)?

      --
      Konstantin Malakhanov, research fellow
      ---