GEOSTATS: reference to Inverse Distance Weighting (IDW)

  • Yoshiro Nagao
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2000
      Dear geostats,

      I am currently writing an article, using techniques
      of interpolation.

      Although I must clarify the original source
      (e.g. book, paper) of IDW, I cannot
      find one. This must be a very old technique, isn't it?

      If anybody knows who invented IDW and what
      was the first publication on this, please let
      me know any minute information relevant to it.

      Your attention would be appreciated.

      Yoshiro Nagao
      London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

    • Konstantin Malakhanov
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2000

        Yoshiro> If anybody knows who invented IDW and what
        Yoshiro> was the first publication on this, please let
        Yoshiro> me know any minute information relevant to it.

        The classical reference is:
        Donald Shepard , A two dimensional Interpolation Function for
        Irregulary Spaced Data, Proc. 23rd Nat. Conf. ACM, 1968, pp 517-523.

        But I recommend:
        R. Franke, Scattered Data Interpolation: Test of some Methods
        Mathematics of Computations, v. 38, n. 157, Jan. 1982

        for historical overview and description of other IDW methods.

        Maybe someone also knows other references to modern IDW-based
        approaches (involving crossvalidation for selection of the power
        parameter)?

        --
        Konstantin Malakhanov, research fellow
        ---