GEOSTATS: Ellipse information

  • Deon Kleinsmith
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27 6:09 AM
      Dear users,

      I am not that proficient in GeoStats but rather more in GIS mapping.

      I have been able to obtain a script that calculates the Jennrich
      Turner Home Range (ellipse output) of a distribution of points in an
      area. The output statistics of this ellipse is:
      - mean of X
      - mean of Y
      (these will represent the unweighted centroid)
      -the area
      -the primary axis length
      -the secondary axis length
      -the angle

      My question is thus this:

      What does the area, the primary and secondary axis length, and the
      angle indicates regarding the distribution of these points (using a
      95% confidence limit)?

      Any light on this will be appreciated.

      Regards
      Deon