GEOSTATS: ANNOUNCEMENT: Grad School Mailing List

  • Robyn Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2000
      Please accept my apologies for extensively cross-posting this message.
      students in the mathematical sciences and the quantitative social sciences.
      If interested, you can subscribe yourself at the URL below:

      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/EcFinMatStGradSchool

      Also, if you know anyone else who might be interested in joining, please
      SPREAD THE WORD!

      I am in the process of trying to build a solid membership base and would
      appreciate any assistance you could provide. A description of the group
      follows:

      The purpose of this list is to provide a gathering place where for grad
      students (and aspiring grad students) in Economics, Finance, Math,
      Statistics and related disciplines. Students in these disciplines share
      some meaningful common experiences:

      a) brutal competition to get into good programs

      b) grueling first-year coursework and qualifying exams often meant to
      "weed-out" a significant proportion of the incoming class

      c)skills, aptitudes and interests that can be easily turned to one's
      advantage in the private sector (hence, serious decisions about how to
      concentrate one's studies to keep all options open while maintaining an eye,
      perhaps, toward the academic job market)

      d)disciplinary cultures -- esp. at the grad level-- which are bit less than
      "warm and fuzzy," and profs/fellow-students who may be dearly wanting in
      some of the more important interpersonal skills etc.

      e) research activities which are neither laboratory-based (as with the lab
      sciences & engineering) nor library-based (as with the softer social
      sciences & humanities)

      Ideally, this will become a vibrant forum where students from a cross-secion
      of related disciplines at many different universities might share their
      questions, concerns, frustrations and insights in a setting of relative
      anonymity and comfort.