RE: GEOSTATS: ArcView-GSLIB summary

  • Juan P. Rigol
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2000
      > Hi!
      >
      > I thank everyone for the useful answers to my question
      > about linking geostatistics and GIS!
      >
      > ---cut---

      I spotted a new arcinfo module for geostatistical
      analysis due this year (??).
      There isn´t currently too much information about this at the
      esri site, but a sort of wish list:
      http://www.esri.com/news/releases/00_1qtr/geostatanal.html

      Regards,
      Juan P. Rigol

      Juan P. Rigol
      Department of Geology
      EPS, University of Jaen
      Virgen de la Cabeza 2
      23071 Jaen, Andalucia
      Spain, EU
      Voice: +34 953 212408 Fax: +34 953 212343
      Email: jprigol@...
    • Juliann Aukema
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2000
        Hello.

        I've been watching this list for only a short time and I hope someone
        out there may be able to help me. I'll try to be brief.
        I am looking at patterns of parasitic plant infection on tree hosts. I
        would like to address questions such as: Are infected individuals
        clustered? If so, at what scale? Is the clustering related to host
        distribution or size? to underlying habitat heterogeneity? What is the PDF
        of the seed distribution with respect to the parents? Are seed deposition
        rates a good proximate measure of the infection rates? I am examining
        processes and mechanisms of parasite transmission in other experiments and
        observations of vector behavior. And I hope to integrate both parts into a
        model of parasite transmission and spread.
        I have mapped (ARCVIEW) trees, parasites and seeds (infective
        propagules) on approximately 4 hectares (about 900 trees) using GPS. I'm
        not sure this is a large enough scale at which to detect patterns. I am
        wondering if there is a way to further subsample at a larger scale
        (complete mapping at a larger scale is too time-consuming right now). Given
        that I need to sample several non-contiguous areas for another part of the
        project (before my field season ends and before I will be able to analyze
        what I already have), perhaps I could choose locations that I could use for
        the spatial analysis as well. For example could I use the plot I have
        mapped and sample at different lag distances? Would I have to sample in
        concentric circles or could I just sample points? What would be a point? 50
        trees? 1 tree? in a circle? line?
        Thank you very much. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

        Juliann Aukema
        jaukema@...