GEOSTATS: ArcView-GSLIB summary

  • Noemi Barabas
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2000
      Hi!

      I thank everyone for the useful answers to my question
      about linking geostatistics and GIS!

      Since a number of people were interested in the answers I got,
      here is a useful summary.

      Most applications of these two ends consist of analysis within
      a geostatistical software (GSLIB, GS+), conversion of the output
      to files compatible with ArcView and adding of the resulting table.

      GSLIB output must be converted to compatible data file by
      running the program "addcoord" which adds the coordinates
      back into the file. Refer to address below to how to proceed
      from there.

      GeoEAS output already includes the grid node coordinates.
      Output can be modified in ACCESS. The procedure is described
      in excellent detail at
      http://ag.arizona.edu/PLP/GIS/Case_Study_Af/Krige_AV_link.html
      The procedure can also be applied to GSLIB output, once the
      coordinates have been added in.

      For the gesotats application SpaceStat (see www.spacestat.com)
      there are ArcView extensions that take integration further to
      reading SpaceStat output into ArcView and beyond.

      I hope all this is useful!

      All the best, Noemi

    • Juan P. Rigol
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2000
        > Hi!
        >
        > I thank everyone for the useful answers to my question
        > about linking geostatistics and GIS!
        >
        > ---cut---

        I spotted a new arcinfo module for geostatistical
        analysis due this year (??).
        There isn´t currently too much information about this at the
        esri site, but a sort of wish list:
        http://www.esri.com/news/releases/00_1qtr/geostatanal.html

        Regards,
        Juan P. Rigol

        Juan P. Rigol
        Department of Geology
        EPS, University of Jaen
        Virgen de la Cabeza 2
        23071 Jaen, Andalucia
        Spain, EU
        Voice: +34 953 212408 Fax: +34 953 212343
        Email: jprigol@...
      • Juliann Aukema
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21, 2000
          Hello.

          I've been watching this list for only a short time and I hope someone
          out there may be able to help me. I'll try to be brief.
          I am looking at patterns of parasitic plant infection on tree hosts. I
          would like to address questions such as: Are infected individuals
          clustered? If so, at what scale? Is the clustering related to host
          distribution or size? to underlying habitat heterogeneity? What is the PDF
          of the seed distribution with respect to the parents? Are seed deposition
          rates a good proximate measure of the infection rates? I am examining
          processes and mechanisms of parasite transmission in other experiments and
          observations of vector behavior. And I hope to integrate both parts into a
          model of parasite transmission and spread.
          I have mapped (ARCVIEW) trees, parasites and seeds (infective
          propagules) on approximately 4 hectares (about 900 trees) using GPS. I'm
          not sure this is a large enough scale at which to detect patterns. I am
          wondering if there is a way to further subsample at a larger scale
          (complete mapping at a larger scale is too time-consuming right now). Given
          that I need to sample several non-contiguous areas for another part of the
          project (before my field season ends and before I will be able to analyze
          what I already have), perhaps I could choose locations that I could use for
          the spatial analysis as well. For example could I use the plot I have
          mapped and sample at different lag distances? Would I have to sample in
          concentric circles or could I just sample points? What would be a point? 50
          trees? 1 tree? in a circle? line?
          Thank you very much. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

          Juliann Aukema
          jaukema@...