RE: GEOSTATS: land mines

  • Frank Breen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
      Can't argue with you there!!!

    • Gene Peters
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2000
        In addition to the "traditional" method of emplacing minefields (i.e., by
        hand), which is a deterministic process governed by doctrine or tactics (and
        therefore somewhat predictable), more technologically-advanced military
        organizations may place minefields remotely or indirectly by air or
        artillery. In these cases, individual mine placement will be random, within
        a non-randomly selected target area.

        Gene Peters
        Currently a geologist, former U.S. Marine
        gpeters@...

        It is interesting for the unknowledgeable like myself to
        speculate that
        the original distribution of land mines is not random, that
        cleanup is
        also not random, but is concentrated instead in areas where
        land mines
        are more frequent, and therefore the distribution after
        cleanup is also
        not random, and perhaps correlated negatively with the
        original
        distribution.
        Ridiculous?

        M. Hohn

        Michael Ed. Hohn, Senior Research Geologist
        West Virginia Geological Survey
        Mathematical Geology: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/mathgeo/
        New Edition of Geostatistics and Petroleum Geology:
        http://www.wvgs.wvnet.edu/www/geostat

        Michael Ed. Hohn, Senior Research Geologist
        Editor, Mathematical Geology
        West Virginia Geological Survey
        P.O. Box 879, Morgantown WV 26507-0879 USA
        Tel. (304) 594-2331 Fax 594-2575
        Mathematical Geology: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/mathgeo/
        Personal: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/hohn/