Re: GEOSTATS: land mines

  • srahman@lgc.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2000
      M. Hohn wrote:

      >It is interesting for the unknowledgeable like myself to speculate that
      >the original distribution of land mines is not random, that cleanup is
      >also not random, but is concentrated instead in areas where land mines
      >are more frequent, and therefore the distribution after cleanup is also
      >not random, and perhaps correlated negatively with the original
      >distribution.
      >Ridiculous?

      Probably not, although assuming a random outcome would
      be a convenient crutch for someone unacquainted with the
      details of a particular process, i.e. in this case the distribution
      of landmines. Two persons, one who has spent twenty years
      (assuming he has survived that long!) clearing landmines, and
      another a statistician assigned to that same problem, would
      most probably tackle it quite differently. (Which poses another
      interesting question: who would I trust more to predict the existence
      of a landmine right in front of my path?) Where the former would be
      quite deterministic in his or her approach, the latter would probably
      be able to attach a probability to his prediction. Now, whether
      the distribution of landmines follows a spatial process or not is
      quite tangential to the main (philosophical) issue of which approach
      to take. In the end I would probably be quite content to put
      my life in the hands of the Army Sargent, rather than rely on a
      statement that there is only a 5% probability that -- if I were to
      put my foot on that patch of grass in front of me -- a landmine would
      suddenly go off.

      Syed

    • Frank Breen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
        Can't argue with you there!!!

      • Gene Peters
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2000
          In addition to the "traditional" method of emplacing minefields (i.e., by
          hand), which is a deterministic process governed by doctrine or tactics (and
          therefore somewhat predictable), more technologically-advanced military
          organizations may place minefields remotely or indirectly by air or
          artillery. In these cases, individual mine placement will be random, within
          a non-randomly selected target area.

          Gene Peters
          Currently a geologist, former U.S. Marine
          gpeters@...

          It is interesting for the unknowledgeable like myself to
          speculate that
          the original distribution of land mines is not random, that
          cleanup is
          also not random, but is concentrated instead in areas where
          land mines
          are more frequent, and therefore the distribution after
          cleanup is also
          not random, and perhaps correlated negatively with the
          original
          distribution.
          Ridiculous?

          M. Hohn

          Michael Ed. Hohn, Senior Research Geologist
          West Virginia Geological Survey
          Mathematical Geology: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/mathgeo/
          New Edition of Geostatistics and Petroleum Geology:
          http://www.wvgs.wvnet.edu/www/geostat

          Michael Ed. Hohn, Senior Research Geologist
          Editor, Mathematical Geology
          West Virginia Geological Survey
          P.O. Box 879, Morgantown WV 26507-0879 USA
          Tel. (304) 594-2331 Fax 594-2575
          Mathematical Geology: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/mathgeo/
          Personal: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/hohn/