RE: GEOSTATS: Modeling Spatial Distribution of Landmines

  • Stephen R. Riese
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
      >Let's face it, landmines are
      used to kill people, so therefore, there is likely a higher probablity that
      they will be placed in areas where people are likely travel.<

      Actually, killing people is seldom a purpose of landmines. Most doctrines
      (again, for the armies advanced enough to follow doctrines) suggest that an
      injury is preferable to death. This is primarily because an injury is more
      of an immediate burden on the enemy's logistical system (takes two soldiers
      to carry one stretcher, etc.). Furthermore, mines are often used as an
      area denial weapon. Armies can put mines out where they don't want anyone
      (including themselves) to go. In most cases, mine warfare doctrine opens
      with something like "Mines are a weapon that attacks the enemy's ability to
      maneuver..." Antitank mines go after vehicles and antipersonnel mines both
      protect the antitank mines and go after walking personnel.

      Your fundamental observation that we should be able to assign probability
      based on known placement tactics is, however, a good one. In this case,
      domain knowledge should include mine warfare doctrine of the armies (or
      terrorists, or para-military, etc.) that placed the mines.

      Good luck,
      Steve Riese

      SteveRiese@...
    • Frank Breen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
        Well in response to ignorance regarding the use of landmine, I am happy to
        say I have had no experience with mines. I do, however, find the problem an
        interesting one and hope you can find a reasonable approach to solving this
        problem.

        Regards,
        Frank

        Frank Breen