RE: GEOSTATS: Modeling Spatial Distribution of Landmines

  • Frank Breen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
      However, in one sence, the placement of the mines could be a function of
      terrain or geology as I suggested earlier. Let's face it, landmines are
      used to kill people, so therefore, there is likely a higher probablity that
      they will be placed in areas where people are likely travel. For example,
      near roads or along terrain that is easily traversed. They might be less
      likely in areas where bedrock is near the surface or areas of heavy brush,
      wetlands, or rocky terrain. Using parameters such as this, you could define
      areas of probable mine locations based on a number of independent variables
      (as previously stated). Geostatistical analysis could certainly be done
      with reasonable certainty for topographic elevation and near surface
      soils/geology etc. For example, would not areas that are relatively flat,
      between a road and say a river have a higher probability of having landmines
      than say a rocky area with heavy brush away from main traffic zones???? If
      you feel this is a feasible approach, then a variation of coKriging relating
      a number of independent variables with possibly a stochastic approach might
      be a reasonable way of determining high "danger" areas.

      Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.
      Regards,
      Frank
      *************************************

      Frank Breen
      Breen GeoScience Management, Inc.
      25116 W. Catherine Drive
      Plainfield, Il. 60544

      phone/voicemail: 815.254.3834
      fax/voicemail: 800.471.4855

      fab@...

      *************************************

    • Stephen R. Riese
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
        >Let's face it, landmines are
        used to kill people, so therefore, there is likely a higher probablity that
        they will be placed in areas where people are likely travel.<

        Actually, killing people is seldom a purpose of landmines. Most doctrines
        (again, for the armies advanced enough to follow doctrines) suggest that an
        injury is preferable to death. This is primarily because an injury is more
        of an immediate burden on the enemy's logistical system (takes two soldiers
        to carry one stretcher, etc.). Furthermore, mines are often used as an
        area denial weapon. Armies can put mines out where they don't want anyone
        (including themselves) to go. In most cases, mine warfare doctrine opens
        with something like "Mines are a weapon that attacks the enemy's ability to
        maneuver..." Antitank mines go after vehicles and antipersonnel mines both
        protect the antitank mines and go after walking personnel.

        Your fundamental observation that we should be able to assign probability
        based on known placement tactics is, however, a good one. In this case,
        domain knowledge should include mine warfare doctrine of the armies (or
        terrorists, or para-military, etc.) that placed the mines.

        Good luck,
        Steve Riese

        SteveRiese@...
      • Frank Breen
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
          Well in response to ignorance regarding the use of landmine, I am happy to
          say I have had no experience with mines. I do, however, find the problem an
          interesting one and hope you can find a reasonable approach to solving this
          problem.

          Regards,
          Frank