GEOSTATS: land mines

  • Dr. Michael Hohn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2000
      It is interesting for the unknowledgeable like myself to speculate that
      the original distribution of land mines is not random, that cleanup is
      also not random, but is concentrated instead in areas where land mines
      are more frequent, and therefore the distribution after cleanup is also
      not random, and perhaps correlated negatively with the original
      distribution.
      Ridiculous?

      M. Hohn

      Michael Ed. Hohn, Senior Research Geologist
      West Virginia Geological Survey
      Mathematical Geology: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/mathgeo/
      New Edition of Geostatistics and Petroleum Geology:
      http://www.wvgs.wvnet.edu/www/geostat
      Michael Ed. Hohn, Senior Research Geologist
      Editor, Mathematical Geology
      West Virginia Geological Survey
      P.O. Box 879, Morgantown WV 26507-0879 USA
      Tel. (304) 594-2331 Fax 594-2575
      Mathematical Geology: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/mathgeo/
      Personal: http://epidote.wvgs.wvnet.edu/hohn/
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2000
        M. Hohn wrote:

        >It is interesting for the unknowledgeable like myself to speculate that
        >the original distribution of land mines is not random, that cleanup is
        >also not random, but is concentrated instead in areas where land mines
        >are more frequent, and therefore the distribution after cleanup is also
        >not random, and perhaps correlated negatively with the original
        >distribution.
        >Ridiculous?

        Probably not, although assuming a random outcome would
        be a convenient crutch for someone unacquainted with the
        details of a particular process, i.e. in this case the distribution
        of landmines. Two persons, one who has spent twenty years
        (assuming he has survived that long!) clearing landmines, and
        another a statistician assigned to that same problem, would
        most probably tackle it quite differently. (Which poses another
        interesting question: who would I trust more to predict the existence
        of a landmine right in front of my path?) Where the former would be
        quite deterministic in his or her approach, the latter would probably
        be able to attach a probability to his prediction. Now, whether
        the distribution of landmines follows a spatial process or not is
        quite tangential to the main (philosophical) issue of which approach
        to take. In the end I would probably be quite content to put
        my life in the hands of the Army Sargent, rather than rely on a
        statement that there is only a 5% probability that -- if I were to
        put my foot on that patch of grass in front of me -- a landmine would
        suddenly go off.

        Syed

      • Frank Breen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2000
          Can't argue with you there!!!

        • Gene Peters
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2000
            In addition to the "traditional" method of emplacing minefields (i.e., by
            hand), which is a deterministic process governed by doctrine or tactics (and
            therefore somewhat predictable), more technologically-advanced military
            organizations may place minefields remotely or indirectly by air or
            artillery. In these cases, individual mine placement will be random, within
            a non-randomly selected target area.

            Gene Peters
            Currently a geologist, former U.S. Marine
            gpeters@...