GEOSTATS: Re:

  • srahman@lgc.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2000
      Not being familiar with landmines, other than the fact that
      they can maim or kill, I would wish that a bit more detail had
      been provided, since a majority of the readers can come from
      fields as diverse and arcane as pig husbandry and the
      population control of fruit bats. To wit:

      i. What is being mapped, and what is the potential impact of
      such maps on, e.g. human lives, if any?

      ii. What is a contaminant? How different is this from a plain
      vanilla landmine? Or are they one and the same thing?

      Are you trying to map the probabilities that a certain "contaminant"
      can exceed a certain level at discrete points in your region of
      interest? Perhaps a non-parametric method (indicator kriging) could
      be of use. Or are you trying to predict the probability that a landmine
      exists at a particular location (a binary on/off variable)? It is mentioned
      that the populations studied can be 1000 m2 or 1 million m2. Are these
      volumes of measurements? Areal expanse? What is a sample size
      of nearly "100%"?

      Syed

      Wilkinson Ms E <E.Wilkinson@...> on 02/04/2000 12:28:43 AM

      To: "'ai-geostats@...'"
      <ai-geostats@...>

      cc: (bcc: Syed Abdul Rahman/SINGPROD1/Landmark)

      As a new recruit in the world of Geo-statistics, I feel a bit unsure on
      what question to ask first.

      I am currently working on a project to evaluate the safety of landmine
      fields. I am therefore mainly interested in the estimation of the completely
      unknown "contamination" level of the field. The variable of interest is discrete
      (landmines) and the populations I will study range from 1000 m2 to 100 million
      m2.

      I have approached the issue by classical random sampling methods (somehow
      inconvenient, but feasible). Unfortunately, to ensure with reasonable confidence
      rates of contamination as low as 10-8, I face sample sizes of nearly 100%.

      What can I do? Can someone help me with the following questions:
      1. How can I tackle this problem of extremely low rates of contamination?
      2. Will Bayesian methods be of any use ? And what books can you recommend
      (easy reading please!)
      3. What about Kriging? I know nothing about it yet, but is it worth
      exploring?

      Many thanks,

      Edith