  • Wilkinson Ms E
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2000
      As a new recruit in the world of Geo-statistics, I feel a bit unsure on what question to ask first.

      I am currently working on a project to evaluate the safety of landmine fields. I am therefore mainly interested in the estimation of the completely unknown "contamination" level of the field. The variable of interest is discrete (landmines) and the populations I will study range from 1000 m2 to 100 million m2.

      I have approached the issue by classical random sampling methods (somehow inconvenient, but feasible). Unfortunately, to ensure with reasonable confidence rates of contamination as low as 10-8, I face sample sizes of nearly 100%.

      What can I do? Can someone help me with the following questions:
      1. How can I tackle this problem of extremely low rates of contamination?
      2. Will Bayesian methods be of any use ? And what books can you recommend (easy reading please!)
      3. What about Kriging? I know nothing about it yet, but is it worth exploring?

      Many thanks,

      Edith