Re: GEOSTATS: simulating intrinsically stationary processes

  • Syed Abdul Rahman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 1999
      For estimation/simulation with a finite search neighborhood,
      assuming an intrinsic hypothesis becomes quite tangential
      to the main point of interest -- i.e., generating good estimates.

      Assuming something is fBm is just that -- an assumption. It might even
      be a valid one where variance increases without bounds, but still
      other such concerns as the size of the search radius, number of
      estimation control points, etc will still have an impact on overall
      estimation quality.

      Syed Abdul Rahman
      Landmark Graphics
      Jakarta, Indonesia

      PS/- fBm is nonstationary but it's derivative -- fGn -- is. Easiest
      simulation is to generate a Gaussian distribution using a random number
      generator, then integrate to get fBm with Hurst exponent 0.5.

      PS2/- _Sample_ covariance will never "fail" if calculated on
      a simulated fBm trace. Does "fail" mean an inability to generate
      "good" estimates, e.g. from a comparison of cross-validated
      residuals?