GEOSTATS: logistic regression with spatially autocorrelated data

  • Kris Verheyen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 1999
      Dear,

      In a +/- 25ha forest, I've mapped the forest ground flora on the basis of a
      20m x 20m grid (a total of > 700 grid cells). Quite logically, the
      distribution of the mapped plant species is not random, but exibits a high
      degree of spatial autocorrelation.
      In order to explain the spatial distributions of these plant species, I
      performed a logistic regression with the species presence/absence data and pH,
      soil type, illuminance, ... as indipendent variables.

      To check for spatial autocorrelation I calculated semivariograms for the
      deviance (residuals) of the logistic regressions. When the nugget sill ratio
      was larger than 0.5, I concluded that spatial autocorrelation did not
      influence my results

      Is the applied method correct and are my conclusions justified?

      Best regards,

      Kris

      Laboratory for forest, nature and landscape research
      Vital Decosterstraat 102, B-3000 Leuven
      tel. : +32-16 329737 fax. : +32-16 329760
      e-mail : kris.verheyen@...