GEOSTATS: Re: restrictions for rho in a SAR model

  • Melanie Wall
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 1999
      Thanks for the comments in response to my question about the SAR model.
      One comment was about restricting rho such that the the underlying process
      Z(x,y) is covariance stationary. This brings up an interesting issue
      because, I think, in general it is not possible. In general, the
      covariance matrix (Sigma) resulting from a SAR specification with neighbor
      matrix W

      Sigma = [t(I - rho W) %*% (I - rho W)]^{-1}

      is NOT going to be covariance stationary no matter how we restrict
      rho. Isn't it true that W has to have a very special form in order to be
      able to put restrictions on rho that ensure Sigma is covariance
      stationary. I believe W must be symmetric and have equal neighbors for
      each location for there to be any hope of Sigma being covariance
      stationary. Haining (1990 p. 82) talks about how Sigma is not usually
      representing a covariance stationary process.

      The question I asked in my last e-mail was about the restriction on rho
      needed to make Sigma positive definite. But, when I asked that, I was not
      aware of this seemingly bigger problem of lack of second order
      stationarity in Sigma that occurs for most W. So now I have a new
      question, Should I care? Is this a problem? This sort of model has
      obviously been used for a long time, do people just ignore the fact that,
      in general, Sigma is not going to represent a stationary process?

      I have just recently started to look at this sort of model in the spatial
      setting and it is clearly not a straightforward extension of what I know
      about time series models.

      Thanks for any replies.

      Melanie Wall
      Division of Biostatistics