GEOSTATS: correlations with spatially autocorrelated data

  • Kris Verheyen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 1999
      Hi everybody,

      As a part of an historical ecological research concerning colonization
      processes of forest plants, I encountered the following problem :

      In a +/- 25ha forest, I've mapped the forest ground flora on the basis of a
      20m x 20m grid (a total of > 700 grid cells). Quite logically, the
      distribution of the mapped plant species is not random, but exibits a high
      degree of spatial autocorrelation (tested with a Moran coefficient). In
      order to explain the spatial distributions of these plant species, I' m trying
      to correlate them with reforestation age of the different forest parcels, pH,
      ..etc.

      My question : Since my data are not independent, is it necesarry to adjust the
      classical correlation coefficients and what's the best - and most practical -
      method to do so (random permutations??)??

      Thanks in advance,

      Kris

      Laboratory for forest, nature and landscape research
      Vital Decosterstraat 102, B-3000 Leuven
      tel. : +32-16 329737 fax. : +32-16 329760
      e-mail : kris.verheyen@...