Re: [Re: GEOSTATS: Improving the FAQ of Ai-GEOSTATS]

  • Heinz Burger
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 1999

      Hello Heinz,

      I have few questions about SURPAC2000 before
      adding it to the GIS. In fact I will also send a mail to
      AI-GEOSTATS to get more feedback on the following point:
      what is a GIS ? My view is that it is a software that will
      allow interactive operations with georeferenced data.

      Hi Gregoire,

      we have got a definition of GIS by Josef Loon which is a good basis for
      further discussions. In geology/geophysics the traditional 2D (+1/2)GIS
      (Arc/Info, MapInfo, ENVI etc.) is only of limited use and therefore 3D(+1)
      GIS developments are an important research topic. But the market for 3D GIS
      is not a big one and therefore the traditional flat-worm-GIS developers may
      not be interested (besides many other problems, which prevent a complete
      convergence of 2D-GIS and 3D-modelling systems). But 2D-GIS users should
      know that there exist special packages which can be used instead of tricky
      layer manipulations.

      So what makes SURPAC2000 be a GIS ?

      Capability of interactive input, analysis and visualization of 3D-geodata.
      Access to a data base (which discriminates pure CAD systems and 3D-GIS);
      spatial queries.

      Do you have a web address for this product where I can
      get more information ?

      http://www.surpac.com

      (but they may not be happy to find their 3D-modelling software in a
      GIS-list).

      With best regards,
      Heinz Burger
      Dr. Heinz Burger
      Freie Universitaet Berlin
      - Geoinformatik -
      Malteserstr. 74-100
      12249 BERLIN, Germany
      e-mail: hburger@...-berlin.de
      Web-Seite: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~hburger

    • Shane Hornibrook
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 1999
        On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Heinz Burger wrote:

        #(but they may not be happy to find their 3D-modelling software in a
        #GIS-list).

        Actually the Surpac site details their Geostatistical Modules for Surpac.

        http://www.surpac.com/products/surpac2/geostats/index.html

        --Shane

        Shane Hornibrook <shornibr@...>
        o Earth Sciences - Dalhousie University
        o Administrative Assistant (Geomatics)
        o Dalhousie Map Collection
        o Phone: 494-3757 (W)

      • Rob Ferguson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 1999
          Hello,

          I must say that it's nice to see someone else recognise that SURPAC 2000 is
          in reality a 3D GIS as this is certainly
          how we at SSI consider it.

          We at Surpac would be happy to be included on the GIS-list.
          Regards

          Rob Ferguson
          Canadian Divisional Manager
          Surpac Software International (Canada) Ltd.
          e-mail: robf@...
          Phone: 604-602-1200 ext. 26
          Cell Phone 604-837-3138
          Fax: 604-602-1201