Re: GEOSTATS: To be or not to be a GIS

  • joseph loon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 1999
      Gregoire and all,
      Herewith a small contribution to the discussion:
      A GIS is a computer based system which deals with the visualization,
      analysis and modeling of up to 4-D geospatial data.
      With this definition we state the following: If the system deals only with
      visualization, it is not a GIS but rather a mapping tool ( many so-called
      GIS do only this - but any GIS can do this), ETC.
      The data used in a GIS is geospatial, that is it relates to the earth and
      the attribiutes have X,Y and Z coordinates. Probably 80% of all data
      collected today is geospatial data. (Obviously a GIS can also be used for
      data collected from extra-terrestial bodies.)
      With the above comments one could draw up a list of properties of a GIS
      and I am sure that many so-called GIS would not satisfy all the
      properties.
      Joe