  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2005
      Dear Douglas,

      I have put few links to free or low cost GIS on the AI-GEOSTATS Softfaq.
      (See http://curie.ei.jrc.it/software/index.htm)
      I hope to improve the information I made available with the questionnaire
      I recently have sent to the list.

      As which one to get, I believe it will be mainly depending on

      1) the functions that are implemented in order to reach the objectives
      of your study;

      2) the digital format of the geographic data you will use. There are
      probably some free codes on the web to convert data. You could
      maybe have a look to the ESRI (the producer of ArcView) web pages
      to get more info on data conversion. see www.esri.com

      Hope this helps

      "Douglas Knox" <douglas.knox@...> wrote:

      As part of my forestry course at the Scottish School of Forestry, Inverness, I
      would like to look at the use of GIS systems in forestry.

      During my sandwich year placement last year with the Forestry Commission I
      gained some understanding of GIS and how it works through working with the GIS
      forester in the district. The package used was Arcview and it is with this in
      mind that I am appealing for information on how I could go about obtaining a
      copy either free or at a reduced rate as I am a student and obviously cannot
      afford to spend hundreds of pounds on GIS software. Any contact information
      e.g. e-mail, web site addresses, journals, or mailing lists where I can get
      information on GIS and GIS software would also be greatly appreciated.

      Having GIS software would enable me to produce various projects and reports
      for my course work to a much higher standard than for example scanning maps
      etc and also allow me to gain further experience in a field which will
      undoubtedly feature in my future career in forestry.

      Thanking you in anticipation,

      Douglas Knox.

      Douglas Knox
      4 Moray Place,
      Moray, IV30 1NR,

      Tel: 01343 542057
      Mobile: 07887 992870
      Pager: 07666 715045
      E-mail: douglas.knox@...
      Web: http://get.to/douglas.knox

      Member of the Global Association of Online Foresters (G.A.O.F.)
      Royal Scottish Forestry Society member (R.S.F.S.)
      http://www.foresters.org/rsfs E-mail: rsfs@...
      Scottish School of Forestry

      E-mails are susceptible to interference. You should not assume that the
      contents originated from Douglas Knox or The Scottish School of Forestry or
      that they have been accurately reproduced from their original form. Douglas
      Knox accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in this
      e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or omitted in
      connection with this communication. If in doubt, please verify the
      authenticity of the contents with the sender.

      This message is a PRIVATE and confidential communication and may be
      privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the addressee. If you are
      not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, or use it, and do not
      disclose it to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by
      replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. Thank you.

      Gregoire Dubois
      Section of Earth Sciences
      Institute of Mineralogy and Petrography
      University of Lausanne