GEOSTATS: GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS

  • Douglas Knox
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 1999

      Appeal For Information On GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS

      As part of my forestry course at the Scottish School of Forestry, Inverness, I would like to look at the use of GIS systems in forestry.

      During my sandwich year placement last year with the Forestry Commission I gained some understanding of GIS and how it works through working with the GIS forester in the district. The package used was Arcview and it is with this in mind that I am appealing for information on how I could go about obtaining a copy either free or at a reduced rate as I am a student and obviously cannot afford to spend hundreds of pounds on GIS software. Any contact information e.g. e-mail, web site addresses, journals, or mailing lists where I can get information on GIS and GIS software would also be greatly appreciated.

      Having GIS software would enable me to produce various projects and reports for my course work to a much higher standard than for example scanning maps etc and also allow me to gain further experience in a field which will undoubtedly feature in my future career in forestry.

      Thanking you in anticipation,

      Douglas Knox.

      ==========
      Douglas Knox
      4 Moray Place,
      Elgin,
      Moray, IV30 1NR,
      U.K.

      Tel: 01343 542057
      Mobile: 07887 992870
      Pager: 07666 715045
      E-mail: douglas.knox@...
      Web: http://get.to/douglas.knox

      Member of the Global Association of Online Foresters (G.A.O.F.)
      http://www.foresters.org
      Royal Scottish Forestry Society member (R.S.F.S.)
      http://www.foresters.org/rsfs     E-mail: rsfs@...
      Scottish School of Forestry
      http://www.uhi.ac.uk

      DISCLAIMER
      E-mails are susceptible to interference. You should not assume that the contents originated from Douglas Knox or The Scottish School of Forestry or that they have been accurately reproduced from their original form. Douglas Knox accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or omitted in connection with this communication. If in doubt, please verify the authenticity of the contents with the sender.

      This message is a PRIVATE and confidential communication and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, or use it, and do not disclose it to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. Thank you.