RE: GEOSTATS: GIS Software - what about

  • Flavy & Peter
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 1999
      Shrifah,

      Even I am not really familiar with AutoCAD Map I do know that there exists a
      Geostatistical tool for AutoCAD. The review I have is unfortunately from
      1996, but the program is for sure available now for ACAD R14. Its name is
      QuickSurf, from Schreiber Instruments and it can do a lot of different sorts
      of surface modeling, including TIN's, Trend Surface, Kriging and Continuos
      curvature. It is regarded as one of the fastest surface generating programs
      available and has a lot of tools for manipulating and shaping surfaces and
      is best used in civil engineering and landscape architecture. It costs
      around US$ 1,200.-.
      Another one is SiteWorks from Intergraph which is available for AutoCAD or
      Microstation and is also said to be best used for Engineering applications.
      But it is just capable of TIN's and Trend surfaces. But in what it is doing
      it is supposed to be very good (Cost around 1,500.- US$).
      For more information you should look up following reference (as I said it
      might be already little bit out of date but gives you some idea what is
      available and you can look up the web sites of the respective companies for
      more current versions):

      Thoen, Bill (1996) Explore the Third Dimension; A comparative Review of
      Contouring Products for Windows 95, GIS World, December 1996, p. 51-59.

      To your question which program is easiest to learn, I would say that is
      dependent very much on your background knowledge and much more on what you
      want to do with "Geostatistics". If you just need a mapping and contouring
      program than I would recommend Surfer for Windows, which is cheap (about
      500.- US$) and easy to learn, but very powerful. It can be extended in its
      geostatistical capabilities by using the program VARIOWIN for semivariogram
      modeling.
      If your are trying to get easily into GIS including "Geostatistical"
      capabilities included, than I would recommend IDRISI32, the newest version
      of this GIS program, which now includes also geostatistical surface modeling
      tools. IDRISI is cheap, easy to learn and very powerful, especially as
      Raster GIS and for image processing and analysis.

      Hope that helps you get started in your search

      Peter

      Peter Gringinger
      Geologist
      28 Heathglen Pl.; Glenfield Ph: +64-9-4416905
      Northshore, Auckland Fax:+64-9-4416905
      New Zealand Mobile: +64-21-611102
      E-mail: petfla@...