RE: GEOSTATS: GIS Software - what about

  • jutsonph@tec.irlgov.ie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12 3:32 AM
      Shrifah

      AutoCAD Map has no Geostatistical capabilities.

      It is essentially an add on to AutoCAD Release 14 (with which it is
      bought). It may be possible to purchase a Geostatistical package for
      AutoCAD, though I do not know the names of any products. It is possible
      with AutoLisp, Visual Basic for Applications or C to create programs that
      run within the memory space of AutoCAD for the manipulation of AutoCAD
      information.

      Philip Jutson
      jutsonph@...
      Geological Survey of Ireland
      Beggars Bush
      Haddington Road
      Dublin D4
      Phone: +353 (0)1 6041470
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12 4:34 AM
        Shrifah,

        Even I am not really familiar with AutoCAD Map I do know that there exists a
        Geostatistical tool for AutoCAD. The review I have is unfortunately from
        1996, but the program is for sure available now for ACAD R14. Its name is
        QuickSurf, from Schreiber Instruments and it can do a lot of different sorts
        of surface modeling, including TIN's, Trend Surface, Kriging and Continuos
        curvature. It is regarded as one of the fastest surface generating programs
        available and has a lot of tools for manipulating and shaping surfaces and
        is best used in civil engineering and landscape architecture. It costs
        around US$ 1,200.-.
        Another one is SiteWorks from Intergraph which is available for AutoCAD or
        Microstation and is also said to be best used for Engineering applications.
        But it is just capable of TIN's and Trend surfaces. But in what it is doing
        it is supposed to be very good (Cost around 1,500.- US$).
        For more information you should look up following reference (as I said it
        might be already little bit out of date but gives you some idea what is
        available and you can look up the web sites of the respective companies for
        more current versions):

        Thoen, Bill (1996) Explore the Third Dimension; A comparative Review of
        Contouring Products for Windows 95, GIS World, December 1996, p. 51-59.

        To your question which program is easiest to learn, I would say that is
        dependent very much on your background knowledge and much more on what you
        want to do with "Geostatistics". If you just need a mapping and contouring
        program than I would recommend Surfer for Windows, which is cheap (about
        500.- US$) and easy to learn, but very powerful. It can be extended in its
        geostatistical capabilities by using the program VARIOWIN for semivariogram
        modeling.
        If your are trying to get easily into GIS including "Geostatistical"
        capabilities included, than I would recommend IDRISI32, the newest version
        of this GIS program, which now includes also geostatistical surface modeling
        tools. IDRISI is cheap, easy to learn and very powerful, especially as
        Raster GIS and for image processing and analysis.

        Hope that helps you get started in your search

        Peter

        Peter Gringinger
        Geologist
        28 Heathglen Pl.; Glenfield Ph: +64-9-4416905
        Northshore, Auckland Fax:+64-9-4416905
        New Zealand Mobile: +64-21-611102
        E-mail: petfla@...