Re: GEOSTATS: interpolating/modelling groundwatercontamination

  • Pierre Goovaerts
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3 7:51 AM
      Hi Romijn,

      3D interpolation must be done with great care
      in order to avoid severe artifact which may result from a poor
      choice of data (search strategy) retained in kriging.
      Typically, you will need to use a 3-D anisotropic semivariogram
      model and an anisotropic search window (ellipsoid).
      The choice of the search window will depend on the distance
      between boreholes and the sampling density along the vertical
      direction. You may want to do a sensitivity analysis
      to investigate the impact of your search strategy on the results.

      What do you mean by "an anisotropic interpolation technique, in
      > order to model the groundwater movement (small scale)? "

      Pierre

      | \ / | Pierre Goovaerts
      |_ \ / _| Assistant professor
      | | The University of Michigan