GEOSTATS: alternatives to linear model of coregionalization

  • John Kern
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
      Pierre and others,

      There are alternatives to the linear model of coregionalization which allow
      the individual covariance functions to be modeled independently and
      guarantee that the cross covariance is positive definite without the
      restrictions associated with the linear model. The only requirement is
      that the individual models be valid covariance functions.

      Each covariance function can have any number of different structures and
      they need not be the same set of structures for each variable. The cross
      correlation function is modeled in frequency domain as a product of the
      spectral models corresponding to the individual covariance functions. This
      is developed in Kern 1995, PhD dissertation at University of Wyoming or in
      abreviated form in the paper, Borgman and Kern, 1996. pg 155. proceedings
      of Spatial accuracy assessment in natural resources and environmental
      sciences, second international symposium, may 21-23 1996. Mowrer,
      Czaplewski and Hamre, USDA, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain forest and Range
      Experiment Station, Fort collins, CO. General Technical Report: RM-GTR-277.

      John W. Kern
      Western EcoSystems Technology Inc.
      2003 Central Ave
      307-742-0106
      johnkern@...
      www.west-inc.com
    • Pierre Goovaerts
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 1999
        To complete the overview of techniques available for
        modeling coregionalization, an automatic modeling of auto and cross
        covariance maps using the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) procedure
        has recently been proposed by Yao and Journel (1998). The main
        feature of that modeling approach is that the resulting model
        of coregionalization takes the form of a set of discrete (cross)
        covariance tables, instead of a set of analytical functions.
        The advantage, besides speed, is that covariance tables are
        non-parametric models and so this approach is very flexible.
        The trade-off cost is that computation of such tables requires
        large data sets.

        Yao, T. and A.G. Journel. 1998. Automatic modeling of (cross)
        covariance tables using Fast Fourier Transform.
        Mathematical Geology 30, 589--616.

        | \ / | Pierre Goovaerts
        |_ \ / _| Assistant professor
        | | The University of Michigan