GEOSTATS: The Rotation Conventions of Kriging Software

  • ed@isaaks.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29 12:34 PM
      Hello to All

      I am looking for help in compiling a small data base that
      describes the various rotation conventions used by
      different kriging software packages. As many of you know,
      each kriging software package may specify the order of the
      rotations about the axes differently. For example, one
      kriging implementation may specify the first rotation around
      the Z axis, followed by a second rotation around the rotated
      X axis followed by a third rotation around the rotated Y
      axis. A second kriging program may specify the first
      rotation around the Z axis followed by a second rotation
      around the rotated Y axis followed by a third rotation
      around the rotated Z axis (Z is not a typo).

      Each kriging program may also specify the direction of each
      rotation differently. For example, one kriging program may
      define a positive rotatation angle around the Z axis as
      left-handed. A second kriging program may define a positive
      rotation angle around the Z axis a right-handed, and so on.

      I have already compiled a list of the rotation conventions
      for some of the major mining software packages such as
      Medsystem, Vulcan, GSLIB, and Gemcom. This list is available
      to the public and may be viewed at http://www.isaaks.com by
      clicking on the donkeys butt and then on the high-lited
      "Compatibility With Other Software" text.

      Often, the software documentation for these programs is
      quite poor and the descriptions of the rotation conventions
      ambiguous. This list is meant to provide an unambiguous and
      clear description of the rotation conventions for the more
      popular kriging and simulation software packages. This will
      be useful for example, to insure compatibility between
      variogram models developed in one software package and used
      by a kriging routine in a different software package.

      Since there is no standard for rotation conventions amongst
      the software developers, this list will make it much easier
      to exchange models between software packages.

      Thus, if you are sure you know the correct rotation
      convention of a particular software package and it has not
      been posted to my list, please send the name of the software
      package and the rotation convention to me at ed@....
      Please do not describe the rotation convention using
      ambiguous terms such as "clockwise". If you are not sure how
      to describe a rotation convention unambiguously, see the
      text describing "Rotation Algorithms" on my web page at the
      location described above.Thanks in advance for your
      contribution. I hope we manage to get most of the software
      packages listed. This is a constant source of frustration
      for many krigers including myself.

      -------------------------------------
      Edward Isaaks
      ed@...
      Voice (650) 558-9051
      Fax (650) 558-9443
      5/27/99
    • Peter Schlesinger
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28 6:59 AM
        Ed,

        Thanks for your information. You have suggested here and on your web site
        (http://www.isaaks.com/rotate/rotate.html), that my softwares (VARIOWIN and
        GSTAT) may not be compatible with each other, because of the rotation
        direction. How do I find out if this is the case? Is there anyone out there
        who knows this answer. I really need to know this ASAP.

        Peter Schlesinger

        --
        Peter Schlesinger
        GIS & Remote Sensing Laboratory