GEOSTATS: Call for papers

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      Call for Papers

      Special Issue edited by Masoud Nikravesh, Fred Aminzadeh and Lotfi A. Zadeh

      Dear Colleagues,

      We are planning to edit a special issue of Journal of Petroleum Science and
      Engineering (JPSE) on Intelligent
      Techniques for Earth Sciences. This issue is intended to highlight recent
      technical advances in Soft Computing, which
      has found applications in different areas of Earth Sciences. Elsevier is
      likely to print a book based on this special issue at a
      later time.

      Broadly, Earth Sciences subsumes but is not limited to the following areas:
      Hydrology, Geophysics (seismic, gravity,
      electrical and magnetic methods), Geology, Geochemistry, Geostatistics,
      Drilling, and Reservoir /Production Engineering.
      Different application areas include Hydrocarbon Exploration and Assessment,
      Mineral Prospecting, Geothermal
      Exploration, Environment Analysis, and Earthquake Prediction.

      "Soft computing is a consortium of computing methodologies which collectively
      provide a foundation for the Conception,
      Design and Deployment of Intelligent Systems" (L.A. Zadeh). Broadly, Soft
      Computing subsumes but is not limited to the
      following areas; Fuzzy Logic (GL), Neuro-Computing (NC), Genetic Computing
      (GC), and Probabilistic Reasoning (PR)
      (Genetic Algorithms (GA), Chaotic Systems (CS), Belief Networks (BN), and
      Learning Theory (LT)). The role model for
      Soft Computing is the Human Mind.

      Since the subject matter is rather broad and multi-disciplinary in nature, we
      will have three major components to this
      volume. These components will undoubtedly crossover in both fundamental theory
      and application areas. However, we
      have made the arbitrary segmentation in part for the division of labor among
      the guest editor and assistant editors.

      The three parts will include:

      1.Integration and Data Fusion: soft computing/ geostatistics/pattern
      recognition and Earth Sciences
      2.Interpretation and Data Mining: geology and surface seismic data
      3.Management: production engineering, reservoir characterization and
      management

      We would like to solicit original papers covering both case histories and new
      advances in related technologies. Please let
      one of the undersigned know if you would like to submit a paper to this
      special issue. The deadline for the final
      manuscript is December 1, 1999. Publication guidelines can be found on the
      journal's homepage, under Guide for
      Authors. The special issue is due for publication in June, 2000.

      We are excited about this project and look forward to receiving your
      manuscript.

      Guest Editor: Masoud Nikravesh
      Associate Director, Zadeh Institute for Information Technology (ZIFIT)
      Energy and Geoscience Institute (EGI)
      University of Utah
      Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
      Phone: 801-585-7013