GEOSTATS: Kriging with barriers

  • Steve Friedman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 1999
      Hi,
      I am a landscape ecologist and I'm currently working with a large
      landscape - 1million acres.
      There are more than 2000 lakes here. I am trying to develop a kriged
      surface map of trees
      distributed across this landscape but want to eliminate lakes from the
      interpolated surface

      Does anyone have suggestions, methods, software solutions for this type
      of problem?

      Thanks for listening/reading.
      Steve Friedman

    • Lorup Eric
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 22, 1999
        Steve,

        is landcover of same class everywhere and do the trees spread through some
        mechanism that easily allows for modelling of autocorrelation? Otherwise
        there would be other factors (such as soil type, areas not suitable for tree
        growing, ...) determining the distribution of the trees across your
        landscape. So this will decide upon choice of Kriging method.

        Re the lakes I don't have enough experience. All that came to my mind was
        the Kriging implementation in Arc/Info which, if I remember it right. allows
        for including of breakelines or borders or anything like this. But Arc/Info
        is by no means a real geostatistical tool :-)

        There's other software out there, check the software list maintained by
        Gregoire Dubois at:

        http://curie.ei.jrc.it/software/index.htm

        Kind regards
        eric j. lorup

        UNIGIS / IDRISI / AGIT
        Eric J. Lorup
        Dept. of Geography and Geoinformation, Salzburg University
        Director of Idrisi Resource Center Salzburg
        A-5020 Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstr. 34
        Austria
        Fon +43(0)662 8044 5235
        Fax +43(0)662 8044 525